Sunday, September 09, 2012

My favorite scripture

This is a two part blog story. I'm going to start with my favorite scripture.
My all time favorite scripture is not a typical one that everyone quotes. Mine is Enos 1:27
And I soon go to the place of my rest, which is with my Redeemer; for I know that in him I shall rest. And I rejoice in that day when my mortal shall put on immortality, and shall stand before him; then shall I see his face with pleasure, and he will say unto me: Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father. Amen.

Why is this my favorite scripture you might ask? There are some awesome scripture which I love! This is not the typical all time favorite scripture though. It is mine because when I first remember really reading this scripture was July of 1996. One of my best friends, Derick Wendell Curtis passed away. I had begun reading the scriptures on my own a few months before and had kept with that goal. I obviously hadn't made it far but that night I was exactly on the scripture I needed to be.
As a 13 year old I read the above lines that "I rejoice in the day when my mortal shall put on immortality, and shall stand before him and see his face with pleasure."
I read that as while yes it is talking about Christ, I found a promise that Derick was not lost to me. I would see my friend again and he was just going ahead of me to prepared the way.
Then as my teenage years progressed and I was close to a few other deaths, this scripture kept coming back to me as a comfort in those dark hours.
As I have matured, the promise became more prominent in my mind as the Savior beckoning me and reminding me of His love for me individually.

Finally, I was sharing this scripture with a member of my Bishopric I think about 3 years ago so about 2009 or 2010 and hadn't explained why I loved it just that I did. He said he thought I loved it because I look forward to that promise in my life. I look forward to that day when "I shall see his face with pleasure and he will say Come unto me." Yes that is true. It was also a different way of looking at it for me. While yes I had focused on the mortal and immortality and the mansions prepared, I hadn't exactly thought of this as being a righteous person looking forward to promises fulfilled. I had thought of my Savior welcoming me but this as a promise because I am a good person doing my best in this life was a happy realization. I am trying my best and this good member of my Bishopric allowed me to see a glimpse into what hopefully Heavenly Father sees in me. I will return to Him someday and it will be a blessed day!

No comments: